Tonight we (Wanderers) convincingly defeated Fulham and hopped above them into 13th place in the table. But there were key moments in the game which stood out almost as much as the win...
Here are my best moments:
1. The third goal scored by Adam Le Fondre. The highlights of the goal if anyone sees them will probably show a composed finish as he chipped the ball over a helpless retreating goalkeeper. It was a good finish but just as important as the goal were the 30 seconds which preceded it. Le Fondre chased and harried, forced and chased, ran and ran at full pelt in several attempts to close down the ball as Fulham attempted to clear their lines. Without his relentless attempts to force an error the goal would not have come about and for that Le Fondre's chasing down gets in my top 5 moments.
2. Saidy Janko's all round outstanding debut. A few times in the first half he looked a bit over keen to take on a man but by the time Bolton started to really exert their authority on the game Janko was in full flow. He was ghosting past players, out thinking, out skilling (is that word allowed) and outclassing those around him. Fulham couldn't handle him and it reminded me of the way Ronaldo terrorised Bolton at the Reebok many moons ago. His pace, movement off the ball, speed of thought and the runs he made showed he is a cut above the rest. We are going to enjoy this guy - the new Daniel Sturridge. (Oh did I mention his wonder goal or assist?)
3. The equaliser. Eidur Gudjohnsen finally scored from open play (forgive me if he has already I don't remember it). Again, it's not the goal or even the great finish which I want to mention in more detail. I want to focus on Eidur's movement in the penalty box and his positioning as the attack unfolded down the right wing. I have only seen it once (live) so it is difficult to describe but for a few seconds he seemed to hit a telepathic wavelength which only he and Janko were operating on. Between them they bamboozled the defence with a combination of a fantastic precision cross (from Janko) and just the right amount of staggering his run and change of position in the box (from Eidur). It showed a level of unspoken, unsignalled communication which you only get from the very best. (I hope it comes across to those who watch the highlights however it depends on the camera angle and it is extremely subtle and it all happens in milliseconds).
Honorable mentions must also go to:
4. Team Spirit - after going goal down and taking into account a recent dip in form the players regrouped well and got down to business well.
5. Relentless pressure going forward - I love it when we attack, attack, attack and at some points in the game Fulham looked like they were falling to pieces.
6. Lennon - After going a goal down Lennon seemed to change to a flat back four. That really is what changed the game for us. We started attacking using the wings on both sides and Feeney and Janko caused no end of problems for their full backs.
I can't wait til the next game!
Life long Wanderer, season ticket holder and avid blogger!
> Chat and discuss current club matters for free with Bolton fans across the world now! Click Here!